Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Screen Test



Hi everyone! Baby Grouchie and I started this blog exactly three years ago today without a clue. My introduction to technology was a Brother typewriter where you could type a sentence on a teeny-tiny screen and then hit print, saving you copious amounts of white-out. Before that, I had an IBM Selectric that weighed almost as much as I did and on which I typed some of the most horrible stories written where nobody went anywhere and nothing happened. But I was writing and that was something. I don't think any time spent pursuing your great love is wasted. Okay, maybe a few outfits, particularly the one that made me look like a poor man's Heidi Fleiss was definitely a mistake, but what can you do?

I've never made predictions on how long I'll write or how often -- until my recent fun surgery/near death joyride, I hadn't missed a day. Not because I feel obligated, but because I enjoy it. Here's my chance to say thanks to all my faithful readers, the ones who comment and the ones who don't. The ones that have made my day or made me think. For the great love and support I received during my ruptured appendix debacle which is nowhere near as fun as Cal's champange punch as beautiful Jodi recently reminded me. So here's to whatever comes next -- my poetry manuscript is scheduled for publication so I can't do anything else to it, thank goodness, and I'm in the midst of rewriting the memoir which now has a new title -- Second Day Reported has become Screen Test. If you guys know any cool photography terms, please send them to me! And I'll be back tomorrow, God willing.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"I should be depressed/ my life's a mess, but I'm having a good time." Paul Simon

Cocktail Hour
Drinking music suggestion: Feeling Good Nina Simone/ Joe Clausell Remix (Verve Remixed)

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Tuesday!

13 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Gads...I remember both of those typewriters (although I believe the Brother was referred to as a "word processor.") Congrats on 3 years, & on pulling through the surprise appendectomy!

Anonymous said...

myCajunQ
FoxlyLadyD
RockinMama
ThreeYearsIn
ThankYouforU
R2C2Shazammmm!!!!!

Cheri said...

It's been a great 3 years!

chris said...

Here is to you Tuff girl. Stay out of the hospital and just keep on writing.

I liked the reference you used in your last post,Men being like Wolve's.

There are basically three kinds of people in this world. Wolve's,Sheep dogs and Sheep.

It is up to us as individuals to decide what we become in life. The Wolf will be the one who would harm the Sheep. The Sheep dog will always protect the Sheep from the Wolf.

Charles Gramlich said...

I learned to type on a manual in high school. Later I had an electric and wrote my first novel ( a horrible pastiche western) on it. I sure do appreciate computers.

Congrats on three years.

the walking man said...

Yeah and I have you to blame for mine...Thank you for writing yours.

jodi said...

Hi Doll, 3 years ago, when you introduced me to your blog, I too didn't know where it would lead. Your journey from old typewriter to laptop is as symbolic as your writing. And all the COOL dresses and shoes. You are the girliest girl, tough cookie, Tiny Hero I know. Luv u and the Grouch!! xoxoxo

Heff said...

Happy 3 years. PARTY.

laughingwolf said...

grats on year 3, michelle... may you have at least 50 more :)

like charles, i had to take typing in high school, on an old underwood, and could not get into grade 10 without pounding out a min of 20 wpm! lol

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

Michelle,

Congrats, Darlin'! Keep up the good work...and the good pics! :)

Take care; hope your week is going well!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michelle!

I heard this song on the way home last night and it reminded me of you:

You pack your bag, you take control
You're moving into my heart and into my soul
Get out of my way, get out of my sight
I won't be walking on thin ice to get through the night

Hey where's your work? What's your game?
I know your business but I don't know your name

Hold on tight
You know she's a little bit dangerous
She's got what it takes to make ends meet
The eyes of a lover that hit like heat
You know she's a little bit dangerous

You turn around, so hot and dry
You're hiding under a halo, your mouth is alive
Get out of my way, get out of my sight
I'm not attracted to go-go deeper tonight

Hey, what's your word? What's your game?
I know your business but I don't know your name

Hold on tight
You know she's a little bit dangerous
She's got what it takes to make ends meet
The eyes of a lover that hit like heat
You know she's a little bit dangerous

She's armed, she's extremely dangerous

--Roxette, "Dangerous"

Whitenoise said...

Happy Blogiversary. :-)