Friday, July 27, 2012
Happy Olympic Friday!I've dusted off my old Piroutte leotard from my ill-fated gymastics career to celebrate the start of the summer Olympics. Although I never made it any further than state, I enjoy watching those girls twirl. In case you need help getting into the spirit of things, here's some theme cocktails (courtesty of my dear friend Angela) to help put you in the mood.
Gold medal cocktailMakes 1 serving
- 1 shot Goldschlager cinnamon schnapps
- 1/2 glass chilled apple cider
- 1 shot caramel liqueur
- Pour Goldschlager schnapps in a cocktail glass.
- Fill the glass almost to the top with apple cider and top off with a shot of caramel liqueur.
Silver medal cocktailMakes 1 serving
- Edible silver powder (available at bakery/cake decorating outlets)
- 2 ounces Malibu Coconut Rum
- 2 ounces seltzer water
- Splash of fresh lime juice
- Lime wedge
- Sprinkle silver powder on the bottom of a martini glass to coat the bottom.
- Shake together the remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Strain into silver-coated martini glass.
- The silver powder should float to the top.
- Sprinkle with extra powder to deepen color and garnish with lime wedge.
Bronze medal cocktailMakes 1 serving
- Edible bronze powder (available at bakery/cake decorating outlets)
- 1-1/2 ounces Kahlua
- 2 ounces Monte Cristo
- 1/2 ounces Grand Marnier
- Coffee beans
- Sprinkle bronze powder on the bottom of a martini glass to coat the bottom.
- Shake together the remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into bronze-coated martini glass. The bronze powder should float to the top. Sprinkle with extra powder to deepen color and garnish with coffee beans.
Friday, July 13, 2012
Hello Everyone -- happy Friday the 13th!
"The night is upon us. And it is wise to obey the night." Homer
News update -- I have a new chapbook coming out titled "In Case of an Actual Emergency." I'll give you details as soon as I have them. As for the latest news, well, I have been working on figuring out how to write a novel which has consumed all my time. I've written stories, poems, essays, and even a novella, but a novel is a different beast. It takes all my feeble concentration to bring it together which has required a virtual detox from all distraction. There's something to be said for getting quiet and the renewing of one's mind. Not to sound too motivational speakerish -- I have a friend who refers to that type of work as "sunshine enemas" which cracks me up despite the fact that I enjoy that type of thing from time to time. Anyway, stay out of trouble on this eerie day!
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
I'd like to wish my wonderful friend Jodi the happiest of birthdays today! Check her out at the J Spot -- she's an amazing writer (rare) and a beautiful person inside and out(also rare!). I'll be back tomorrow after a long break from this blog. I've been taking some time to work on longer projects, but will be back with an update. Happy Tuesday to all!