Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Looking For Mr. Goodbar



As I was writing today (trying to get into a new project -- that's the problem with finishing a book -- you have to start a new one), I started thinking about phrases I use as shorthand for certain situations. I'm going to list a few and ask you guys if you have any that you use.

Play Misty For Me -- great Clint Eastwood movie about a woman who becomes obsessed with a late night dj/ I use this to mean any woman with a creepy gleam in her eye who follows/stalks the man of her dreams. Sometimes this method works -- dear reader, the last person I used this description for married her object of desire.

A Star Is Born -- Kris Kristopherson, Barbra Streisand -- woman becomes famous, man well, stays as he is. Problems ensue.

Midnight Cowboy -- one of my favorite movies, but I use the phrase to mean a man who is dressed in a tragic way. Can also apply to any man who works as a "dancer" No, I do not mean Mikhail Barishinkov, I mean the kind that is hired for every bachelorette party that should never ever be.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar -- a friend of mine often says careless, reckless when someone is doing something stupid. I use this term for two totally separate things --behavior of any kind that falls into category of either a) winning a Darwin award or b)punishment on television/movies for any woman who is remotely sexual in a non-traditional way.

That's very Karen Carpenter -- behavior that is billed as wholesome but in fact is very dark and vital and interesting underneath scary, shiny veneer.

Anything to add?

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"You can rot here without feeling it." John Rechy

Cocktail Hour
Drinking music suggestion: The Wrestler Bruce Springsteen

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wrong Way Corrigan. Doing the opposite of what's expected. Actually, the real Corrigan was a brilliant aviator. He even helped design and build Charles Lindbergh's plane, "The Spirit of St. Louis."--Wrong Way Corrigan

Anonymous said...

Mr. Goodbar!!! Available in the candy aisle and in front of the checkstands at your local Krogers!!!--Mr. Whipple and Artie the bagger.

Anonymous said...

Chunky, what a chunk of chocolate!!!--Arnold Stang

Anonymous said...

Very Timothy Learyish. A weird combination of drug-induced paranoia with a smile on its face and intellectual chutzpah. I've taught Leary's essay "American Education as an Addictive Process and Its Cure" many times to undergraduates in my argumentation classes. One or two students really seem addicted to it.--Herman Northrop Frye

Anonymous said...

The Blue Angels!!!-Lieutenant Thomas E. Selfridge

Anonymous said...

RIP Horton Foote. Sure could tell a tale.--Whitey the Bear

Anonymous said...

Go Wings!!!!Beat the Av's!!!! Fly into those mountains and knock 'em dead!!!!--JLCGULL

Scott said...

Michelle,

In college, I would often leave a party without telling anyone...I would just dissappear. It was reffered to as 'Pulling a Lone Ranger", since he would always take off mysteriously at the end of every episode.

Anonymous said...

You took a French leave.-- Letitia Baldridge

the walking man said...

"Fuck 'em" it's Detroit shorthand for everything that makes no goddamn sense.

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, now that's interesting. I don't think I really do this. I do use one phrase but I think I got it from Lana. When two folks in a movie or show look like they're about to get it on Lana and I will say. "Oh, he's gonna be Kirking her soon."

Anonymous said...

I love kirking.--Juan Antonio Gonzalo

Anonymous said...

Do you think I'm talented, Juan Antonio?--Cristina

Anonymous said...

Do you want me to show you the same gun I showed your friend Vicky?--Maria Elena

Anonymous said...

Ah, where are the putas of yesteryear?--Miquel Asturias

Anonymous said...

Two Mules for Sister Sarah, she comes on like a nun but she is not.

Anonymous said...

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Buddies for a job well done, but which one is T and whioch one is L? I can never remember.

Lana Gramlich said...

In addition to what Charles mentioned (about the "Kirking,") I find that I've taken to using a phrase from "Team America; World Police" unfortunately often;
"Why is everyone so f*cking stupid???"