Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beer Magic



Loved the comment the other day by Anna Fricke about how people's drink selections define them as much as anything else. Drinks are sometimes who we are, sometimes who we want to be, and sometimes our downfall. I have a deep love of champagne; it doesn't give me a hangover and fits with Lord Byron's instructions regarding what women should consume in public -- the only other thing is lobster. I've often felt bad about hating wine since it is the quintessential grown-up drink. But I can't bring myself to drink it, not red or white. I've learned to like beer; women who like men often find themselves in this position. I'm a fan of the great Texas beer, Shinerbock. There's a bar in Ft. Worth called Beer Magic; I like to joke that beer magic is simple -- if you have it, men appear.

For every long relationship I've had, there's a spirit involved that reminds me of the man -- so far, I've managed to ruin or reminiscence fondly on gin, scotch, and tequila. I suspect there might be men who like more exotic liquors, but I'm probably not destined for them in this life. My first husband made himself sick on Thunderbird, alas illustrating the dangers of marrying young. I enjoy Bloody Marys, Mimosas, all sorts of potions. They all say and promise things that they don't really deliver. But it's when you stop caring what you put in your mouth or what comes out of it that you're in trouble.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Don't bother trying to join the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. It turns out they're apparently against all three." Wiley

Cocktail Hour
Drinking gin and tonic video tomorrow!

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday!

11 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

I used to drink beer by the buckets full, then I developed allergies to the hops, so I switched to whiskey. Go figure. Hey, at least I have someone else to drive me around.

Anonymous said...

Cheers with a special Moet White Star to you, Michelle!--John Ricci

Billy Joe said...

The spell is still working. I can't stay away. God, you're gorgeous, the kind of gorgeous that's unaccountable, that gets under your skin as the old Sinatra standard says.

Let's see, I'm a scotch and water drinker. I like a good beer. Just for the hell of it I do a martini once in while, especially for lunch, just to feel like a bigshot. When I was younger and a janitor at a hospital, I would have martini lunches.

I'm intrigued by all the new liquers and drinks, but figure it's just marketing. I went drinking with some college students a year ago and drank all kinds of things I can't remember the names of.

Here's to you!
Billy

the walking man said...

So now you got me wondering...what the fuck does Diet Pepsi define me as? Or coffee, not the snobby ass latte's and mocha joka's but just regular coffee without any heavier treatment than some cream.

Because a hyper weight losing person I am ain't.

Charles Gramlich said...

I like the taste of Shinerbock considerably, but it's wheat based brew doesn't sit well with my stomach and intestines. Maybe if I drank it more regularly.

Anonymous said...

Gin--the drink of the Gods!

jodi said...

Hi Sugar, Cal's champagne punch rules and if it's not interspersed with various shots, I do not get a hangover either!!! xoxo Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what it says about me, but I prefer just a glass of merlot or cabernet sauvignon with dinner. Or, if we're having mexican food, I like margaritas. Beautiful shot, M!

Scott said...

Michelle,

I drink beer, wine, rum, whisky,mead,vodka, hard cider...I don't know how that defines me, except for maybe as an alcoholic,LOL!

Hope your week's been good so far. Take care!

Lana Gramlich said...

I am SOOOOO with you on Mimosas! Since moving to New Orleans I've become quite the fan of margaritas, too (frozen or not.) I also don't mind a coffee w/some Bailey's now & again. For some reason, though, my taste for beer has fled me. I can't even finish just one anymore.

Jason said...

I drink beer mostly because I know how to pace myself with it. i like ale's and don't care for blondes (heh).

My drink of choice this days are very dirty, gin martini's.

What does that say about me?