Sunday, March 22, 2009

No Contact



I just saw an ad for a no-contact jacket, one that women can wear to help protect themselves from assault. With the push of a button, the jacket acts as a taser gun to repel potential attackers. I don't know why this ad gives me the creeps. I had the same reaction to the ad for the car sensor that could pick up the beating of a human heart, should someone be hiding in your vehicle in some lonely, deserted parking lot. For $950, the no-contact jacket also comes with a philosophy, one describing how women's fashions are meant to restrict and make women vulnerable, ie, high heels are not great for running (although I have done so, mostly to grab the last dessert or get away from wicked children).

I'm the kind of person who won't wear a name tag, much less a jacket with electricity inside. Fear causes a kind of paralysis in me, not flight or fight. But over time, I've learned how to both run and throw myself on the hand grenade. Understanding now that the occasional explosion is not the end of the world or anything else. And while I approve of the no-contact jacket in theory, I can't see having my fashion choices dictated by fear. In the end, the only person I'd shock would be myself.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"The great epochs of life come when we gain the courage to rechristen our evil as what is best in us." Friedrich Nietzche

Cocktail Hour
Drinking video suggestion: I'm redoing the gin and tonic video now that it's spring and the first video seems trapped forever. The next potion after that will be of the margarita variety.

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Sunday! Thanks for checking on me, gorgeous Jodi! I've been a under the weather, but am back to full speed now.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetheart,
The photo of you is taser enough.

Anonymous said...

We had a high heels race in New York City that was one of our most highly rated shows. We're thinking of making it an annual event.--Regis and Kelly

Anonymous said...

P.S. We called it the High Heel-a-Thon.--Regis

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, last year's winner was a former member of Penn State's track team. She was also in the PR department of Sports Illustrated. We love your blog, Michelle.--Kelly

Anonymous said...

I'm an alpha male in "Gods of Carnage." By the way, Jeff Daniels(who was so great in Larry McMurtry's Terms of Endearment)from your state is also in the cast.--Jimmy Gandolfini

Anonymous said...

The Michigan state(not the basketball team in the final sixteen).--JG

jodi said...

Sweets, the pic is so lovely--glad to hear you are o.k. Living in the kind of fear it would take for such self protection devices would paralyze me. I'd rather avoid dark parking lots alone at night...

Lana Gramlich said...

I wonder if it gave you the creeps because of what such a garment says about our society. <:(

Anonymous said...

Silvia Plath's son has committed suicide 46 years after the poet took her own life.--TimesonLine

Anonymous said...

I started smoking weed at 17, because that is just what you do if you like the Beatles.--Caitlin Moran

Whitenoise said...

As a man- I can't and never will understand what you've experienced with rape. The fear, feeling of violation, of helpless rage must completely consume the soul. But, as a man, I also don't get the provocative pictures. They conflict so absolutely with the rape experience. You're beautiful. You inspire lust. Maybe that's the point- to dangle the treat before the wolf and forever deny him a taste. Personal expression or an exercise in power? It's beyond me, I just don't get it.

the walking man said...

Hugging you has always been an electrifying experience, no jacket necessary...on the other hand you could wear the thing and look for fat old men who are having a heart attack and be a hero.

Wanna race for that last piece of cake? I know some wicked children I would throw at you, to speed you up shorty.

Heff said...

That jacket seems like a recipe for self-destruction to me.

Anonymous said...

'brinonjk (hic) bring onn on hte booze!!! don't wait Hic 9Hic for the the the week(hic) end--Foster Brooks

Scott said...

Michelle,

That jacket is a very sci-fi idea...it's also very weird. I think Lana did hit it on the head with her assessment.

Oh, please keep posting those lovely pics...nothing wrong with showing off your beauty...plus, I like 'em! :)