Friday, March 06, 2009

First Marriage In A Storefront Window



Here's the Friday poem! Hope you're having a great weekend. I'll be around this weekend with the perfect gin and tonic for all interested.

First Marriage In A Storefront Window

My life, a car with the engine light
on and yet I drive dark streets hoping
not to sputter and die. Casting back
to those early married days and suddenly
it's Christmas and candles burn in shop
windows as we wait for friends to join us
for dinner. Near our end, but I don't
know that yet. We step into the chain
restaurant and Marvin Gaye asks
through tinny speakers if he can get a witness.
A fried onion shaped like a flower is
brought as a starter. I know I shouldn't
eat so much of it, but I love what makes me
sick. Perhaps it will not always be like this.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Sometimes films ignore other points of view because it's simpler to tell the story that way, but the more genuine and sympathetic you are to different points of view and situations, the more real the story is." Ang Lee

Cocktail Hour
Drinking movie suggestion: Straight Time
Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Friday!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring on those french fried onions!!!--Ronald MacDonald

jodi said...

I hear ya babe. I always seem to love what hurts me the most. And I remember discussing the quote that describes said situation! xo

the walking man said...

I'll be doggone.

jeff said...

T'as l'air trop bonne Michelle... You are trop good... Buena... bonita... Good job ! Bye

Charles Gramlich said...

Many of us do love what makes us sick. I used to love beer that way. I finally got over that.

the walking man said...

Getting sick or beer Charles?

Lana Gramlich said...

I can totally sympathize with that poem (except that my ex & I were never formally married. We just lived together for 10.5 yrs...aka "too damned long.")

Scott said...

Michelle,

Nice poem!

I do know what it's like to love somwething that's bad for you...I think we all probably do.