Thursday, May 27, 2010

Robert's Rules Of Order



No kids, no cats, no redheads, no Disney. These were my friend Hank's rules for dating. You know what? God laughs at rule. The first woman he was serious about (read, slept with) had two kids, four cats, bright red hair that she had fashioned into dreadlocks, and a hatred for Disney. One out of four ain't bad, right? I liked his first girlfriend; she was cool. She was about ten years older than us; she'd had a life, several lovers (both male and female), two failed marriages, a dormant drug addiction, and a really beautiful house with grown up furniture. Around her I felt ready to take out my Cabbage Patch Kid doll.

Given Hank's stellar example of following his own rules, I had my own set but I never articulated them. The only thing that stayed the same was that I didn't follow mine either. What about you guys? Any deal breakers in love? Did you ever go back on your own rules?

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, virtue is doing it." David Starr Jordan

Cocktail Hour
Full moon tonight . . .

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Thursday! Still catching up on email from flu spell. Hope you guys are all staying healthy!

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, I don't remember having all that many opportunities so I didn't have a lot rules, and certainly none that I wasn't at least a little flexible about.

Anonymous said...

Weight proportional to height has always been a key consideration for me!--Jack LaLane

Anonymous said...

I like fat cats!--ALF

Anonymous said...

Men don't like rejection!--MB

Anonymous said...

Timing is everything!--MB

Anonymous said...

If I wasn't dead already!--MB

chris said...

As a crazy kid way back when,I swore off of Blondes and gave all credit to the brunettes,red heads,etc.

How did end up marrying two blondes ? Broke my own rules ? What are you talking about ?

Anonymous said...

The drugs kicked in outside of Barstow!--Gonzo

Lana Gramlich said...

After my ex, I definitely had what I called "lines in the sand." Cross them & you were out. They weren't so pat, however. They were more amorphous. Top of the "list," I wasn't going to put up with any phonies or people with contol issues. That was the most important thing, to me.