Sunday, May 16, 2010

Blind Carbon Copy



I can't remember the first e-mail I ever sent. Somehow this should have lodged into my brain, but it didn't. I always preferred letters, and I still stand by this although I don't write them as frequently as I used to do. Mostly I find myself writing letters when I'm on a plane, pouring my heart out on crappy notebook paper with squigglies on the side. Don't get me wrong; I love e-mail, both sending and receiving, even if I do get behind. But letters are a chance for reflection. You never regret pushing send too fast on a letter whereas with e-mail you often long for a switch to shut your computer off if you are in an altered state -- angry or drunk or armed with too little information and too much time. The list goes on and on. But letters are a different story. You have to pause to get a stamp. There is a lag time.

And the content of the two forms is very different. In e-mail, I often am writing to communicate, the way one eats merely to satisfy hunger. The audience expectation is different. In a letter, I must work to be entertaining, charming. Make connections, transitions. While a letter might not be worthy of keeping for the ages, it at least has to seem as if you put some thought into it. And another plus -- I've never sent a letter to the wrong person by accident. In the information age, things move awfully fast. Not a lot of time for contemplation. So I turn it over to you, dear reader. What's the last letter you got? Ever regretted sending a letter or e-mail? Tell all. In fact, why don't you write me a letter? (or a comment would be fine -- see you tomorrow!)

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy." Matthew 6:21

Cocktail Hour
Short story collection suggestion: Miracle Boy Pinckney Benedict

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Sunday!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so weird that Jesus never wrote a word!--Saul of Tarsus

Anonymous said...

I don't care how much money I've got to spend. Got to get back to my baby. My baby just wrote me a letter!--The Boxtops

Anonymous said...

Send nudies too!!!--Short bus and Special

Anonymous said...

I always thought of photography as a naughty thing to do--that was one of my favorite things about it--and when I first did it, I felt perverse!--Diane Arbus

Anonymous said...

The first mistake of art is to assume that it's serious.--Lester Bangs

Anonymous said...

Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.--Frank Zappa

Anonymous said...

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.--Simonides.

Anonymous said...

Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience.--Henry David Thoreau

Anonymous said...

When we see a natural style we are quite amazed because we expect to see an author and find a man.--Blaise Pascal

Anonymous said...

Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere.--G.K. Chesterson

The Professor said...

The last letter I received was from a former love. It came to me many years ago now. It had the promise of new beginnings, though it never came to fruition. I still have it.

I think there are very few people that don't have at least one letter, note or email that they regret.

Anonymous said...

Regrets, I've had a few! But still, too few too mention!--Frank S.

Anonymous said...

Too too twain!!--M. Brooks

Heff said...

My first email was subject line : MY BUTT

Mail : ITCHES !

I'll never forget it, and yes, I DO have a way with words.

Anonymous said...

How do you think I feel?--Huge Heffner

Charles Gramlich said...

I admire the habit of letter writing, but I never cultivated it back in the day when it made sense. I'm just too lazy, although I do enjoy reading letters written by authors in the long ago.

Anonymous said...

Detroit Proper!!!!! Detroit sucks, man. Don't go there unless you want a decreased lifespan.--Honkey

jodi said...

Hi Doll, My 96 year old Grannie sends !! me long, darling letters. I usually call her back tho. I am a stationary addict and buy it all the time. I used to write long, boring, detailed letters to my friends! Poor babies....xo

Anonymous said...

Brev is the soul of wi!--Baba Ram Das

G. B. Miller said...

Catching up on my reading.

Last letter I received was from a pen pal back in the late 70's.

I do write the ocassional letter, but it's been at least a year or two since I wrote one.

Lana Gramlich said...

I must say you're really good about non-e-communication. I wish I was better about sending letters & cards around. I used to be, but I never got anything back (until your very thoughtful cards & such.) These days I seem to be much busier, too. Not that that's an excuse...