Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Damage Deposit



I just read that the Amityville Horror house in New York is on the market. As a Detroiter, this property is a bit out of my range, but it does beg the question -- who would buy such a place? Spaces, I believe, carry energy. I have a friend who lives in an apartment where an elderly woman was strangled. The apartment contains the energy. I loved one house I lived in, but the basement spooked everyone. My friend said it looked like the kind of space where bad things happened. Eventually I learned someone hung herself in it. Bad things, indeed. I was the only one that didn't get the creeps there. I felt a strange kinship to the dead woman, to her problems and pain.

When I was thirty, I lived in a generic place I hated, weighted down by possessions and a relationship I no longer wanted. The space seemed hard to endure. I missed the way the ghetto from which I had moved looked, I missed the energy of the streets. I had traded beauty for a nursing home level of security, a nursing home energy. A million times safer according to almost everyone, I felt my spirit start to die. The relationship followed suit as soon as the damage deposit was returned. We got almost all of it back, only charged for a blood-like stain near the couch, from where it came, no one could remember.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer." Karl Kraus

Cocktail Hour
Anyone have a favorite summer cocktail?

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Tuesday!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the energy of the streets! Detroit, Texas--anywhere!--Kwame

Anonymous said...

MGD with a side of peppermint schnapps on ice. Several of these.--Native Detroiter

Anonymous said...

I used to think I was a writer. Now I'm in the same class with Kwame.--Sam Riddle

Anonymous said...

I bought a ticket to the circus. Just a small town girl from Arkansas.--NCM

Anonymous said...

I just flat out asked Warren Beatty if he wanted to fuck.--C. Mallory

Anonymous said...

This meeting of the Detroit Foreclosure Society is hereby ended!--D. Bing

Charles Gramlich said...

I've been in places like that. I don't know how to explain those weird feelings, weird energies, but they certainly have psychological power.

Anonymous said...

"As a Detroiter, this property is a bit out of my range, but it does beg the question -- who would buy such a place?"

Which begs the question: Who would buy a place in Detroit?

Answer:

Apparently very few!

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100511/METRO/5110413/1361/Wayne-County-to-raze-450-Detroit-structures-in-45-days

Anonymous said...

Much smarter than a fourth grader!--Loyal Reader

Anonymous said...

OK--ALF(The TV Show!)

Anonymous said...

Squares on parade!--Hep Cat

Lana Gramlich said...

I grew up about 20 minutes from the Amityville house (& yes, everyone down there goes by it at least once in their life.) I remember finding out years later that one of my friends had moved into a home another of my friends had lived in previously. The original inhabitant/friend told me to expect all kinds of haunting tales from the new inhabitant/friend (but he never did, so there you go...)

chris said...

Damage deposit. I just put a big one down. I am out of Miami on the 12th.

Bring on the lovely Hurricane season.