Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Beauty Pageant



Kind of going the list route for my post today -- as I learn to plot, I'll take the list break from time to time . . . Theme for today -- Things I find to be truly strange:

-- Asking contestants in beauty pageants serious political questions. I mean, it's a beauty contest right? How old are these girls? Furthermore, why do I give a rat's ass what Miss Fill in the Blank thinks about state's rights, birth control, marriage, etc.

-- Hyphenated last names. Pick. Choose.

-- Renewing vows. For those that missed the torture that was the wedding, here it comes again, as appetizing as three day old leftovers. This one leaves me shaking my head, saying, Why God, why? Heidi and Seal do this every year. This seems disturbed to me.

Okay, enough with the mini-rant. I'll be back tomorrow with something more substantial. Until then, feel free to share the things that seem strange to you.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"It is not down in any map; true places never are." Herman Melville

Cocktail Hour
Anyone have any summer movie suggestions?

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday! To my dear Mark, thanks for pointing out that "Detroit Proper" isn't linked yet. PD = technophobe. Working on it!

12 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

I detest hyphenated last names.

Makes impossible to properly file stuff or look for stuff on the computer.

"Gee, do I put in her first last name, her last last name, or the entire thing?"

Grrrrrr!!

chris said...

I could not sum up your statements any better. You are correct. Who gives a rats ass. Be safe M.

Anonymous said...

M is W upside down! The Ceiling or the Floor!!!!!!!!!!!--Alphabeticus

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, strange can be brilliant! As in Dr. Strangelove. Mein Fuhrer! I can valk!!!!!--Oscar Winner

Anonymous said...

Strange Brew!--Cream

Anonymous said...

John Strangways.--Dr. No

Anonymous said...

The Party of no.--Rush L.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm exactly the same way about asking the beauty contestents about big social or political concerns. It's almost as bad as when they ask some party rock band about those kinds of issues. Or a football player.

Anonymous said...

Voting for Obama.

Anonymous said...

Detroit has its own saying: If you see something, shut up!--Native Detroiter

Lana Gramlich said...

Asking contestants in beauty pageants serious political questions.
I'm totally with you on this. TOTALLY.

Hyphenated last names.
I was somewhat surprised to learn that my mentor in NYC completely expected me to hyphenate & that Charles would have been upset had I not taken on "Gramlich." They're just words, aren't they? Neither example is going to change who I am in any fundamental way, right? (I took Gramlich because I wanted to, btw. ;)

Renewing vows.
I know, right? Like the first vows had an expiration date???

JAM said...

As a man, I've always felt strange about saying anything about hyphenated names, but since you brought it up...

It always seemed like people are so proud of their original last name that they couldn't give it up. Like, Mary Glockenspiel-Murphy, you know, of the Mayflower Glockenspiels?

Some people just seem too clueless to leave well enough alone too, I know a lady whose married name is now Shellhorne-Scutt. There was no way possible to win with that was there?

Also, seriously, they should softball the questions to the beauty queens.

A final note; the verification word I'm going to have to type in in a minute is PORMO.