Monday, April 26, 2010

It Is Finished



Hey guys -- thanks for all the great comments on my You Don't Know Jack post. In strange news, the good doctor's deathmobile was scheduled to be sold on EBay tomorrow and then got yanked for "policy" reasons. (See comment on my Hemlock post.) Interesting. In the good news category, I've pretty much finished You Are The Camera. Thanks for all the support over the past year. I realize that writing a book takes as long as it takes which is about twice the time you thought it would take. (conservative estimate -- in truth, it's probably three times the amount of time) Without you guys encouraging me, I might have given up the proverbial ghost. I think of Gloria Steinem saying that she likes having written, not writing itself. That's not entirely true for me, but I understand it. My tendency is a desperate desire to be finished a long time before I've worked out all the problems, a wish for the appearance of completion and wholeness that bears no relation to reality. I'm guessing I am the only person on the planet with this problem, but if not, feel free to share. I'm working on an acknowledgements section so I'll post that soon. As for tonight, Nurse Jackie continues! I'll be back tomorrow with more!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the rare case of the author being much better than the book, although the book is probably excellent, too!--True Religion

Anonymous said...

You don't go to the Muse. The Muse comes to you!--Charles Bukowski

jodi said...

Michelle, I remember you once laughing when I said my mother had 'wrung all the joy out of scrubbing her kitchen floor.' Well, when I wring the joy out of ANYTHING, it's generally on to a new pursuit. Call me a quitter--but I say diversionist is closer to the mark! xo

G. B. Miller said...

Congrats on finishing your book. Now the fun part begins.

the walking man said...

That's a wrap, time for the wrap party.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've noticed every project I take on takes more time than I expected it to, despite the fact that I should be getting more experienced all the time in making such judgements.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lady Gaga!--Ben Schott

Lana Gramlich said...

Congrats on finishing! It can feel SO rewarding just to be done with a work. Hope it brings you good fortune (in every sense of the word)!

Tim said...

Congrats Michelle!

Anonymous said...

That really is bad news about Kevorkian's deathmobile. I really wanted it for a hotdog stand! GET YOUR RED HOT DEATH DOGS!!!--Ray Kroc