Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fashion Forward



Thanks for all the well wishes on finishing You Are The Camera. Special thanks to Lana for the good fortune! And I totally agree with you on the Jack K. issue -- don't get me started on those wretched commercials for cancer centers that "care" when your local doctor tells you that you don't have very long to live. Note the "results not typical" caveat after the inspirational story of surviving Stage Four pancreatic cancer.

At any rate, I'm worn out, worn down, and ready for the wrap party! In lieu of the light posts I'm usually wont to do about assisted suicide, sexual violence, and death, I'm going to opt for something a little more serious. It's no secret that I love clothes. So who are my fashion role models? Well, here's a partial list culled from television:

Lindsay -- main character on Freaks and Geeks. 1980 in metro Detroit. Army jacket and jeans. Good low mainentance look.

The women of Dark Shadows -- this is perhaps too obvious to even mention.

Joan on Mad Men -- I have a theory that of the women who watch this show, most either relate to Betty or Joan. I like Betty, but I love Joan and would kill for the necklace she wears dashing around the office.

Maude -- yes, you heard me. Bea Arthur is just that cool.

Morticia on the Addams Family -- again, maybe too obvious to mention.

Adriana on The Sopranos -- sometimes too much is just enough.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
“When I hear somebody sigh, "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask, "Compared to what?"” Sydney J. Harris

Cocktail Hour
I'm enjoying evil little packets of something called Vibrant Cleanse. My friend Cal called me on my bullshit on this one, stating that I "in no way, shape, or form have any desire to cleanse" and referred to them as "hunger-strike packets" intended for weight control. Busted. Even so, no worries. I'm not doing any master cleanse and giving up food.

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here we go with the guns again! Happy Birthday, Michelle(it's never to early!)!--Guns and Roses

Anonymous said...

Too wish Hppys Birthdayys!!!--Short bus and Special

Anonymous said...

The Maude-syle pants suit. Not bad. Go with the man's tie!--Mr. Blackwell

Anonymous said...

Paisley!--Karl Lagerfeld

Anonymous said...

Regimental stripe!--Ralph Lauren

Anonymous said...

Pinpoint!--Yves St. Laurent

Anonymous said...

Knit!--Esquire Black Book

Anonymous said...

Any white four-in-hand is okay!--Truman Capote

Jason said...

I've always liked having a on-the-docks or blue-collar look mixed with the occasional nerdy t-shirts.

Lately, I buy Hanes plain white tees by the cart load. A white tee, blue jeans, boots, and a plaid shirt with rolled up sleeves.

The bummer is DC gets way too warm for this outfit in late spring and I can't where it again till late September.

Anonymous said...

Wash and where!--Marvel Comics

Anonymous said...

Hard compared to a donkey dick!--Sancho Panza

Anonymous said...

Speaking of donkey dicks, Herm's diet works for me!--Jean Harris

the walking man said...

Cleanse away and get back into your Detroit uniform, jeans, T shirts and 4" heels.

Charles Gramlich said...

The women of Dark Shadows. Yeah, I can see that. Good choice! What about the models for your pistols?"

Heff said...

Bea Arthur was an ass kicker, God rest her soul...

Whitenoise said...

I've always liked "Life is hard- get a helmet".

Anonymous said...

Go Packers!--Don Key

Anonymous said...

Go Wings! Beat da Sharks!!!!!--Sid Abel

Scott said...

Michelle,

Anyone who lists Morticia Addams and the ladies of Dark Shadows as fashion role models is my kinda gal. :)