Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The Beautiful Room Is Empty



In honor of AIDS day, I tried to do a little research on the most odious of all groups, Westboro Baptist Church, known as the God Hates Fags church, but my computer wouldn't let me open any of their websites for some reason. Good computer! Where do these nuts come from? Where does anyone gain such surety of their position? When AIDS came on the scene, I decided to volunteer at an AIDS support center. My only credential was that I had read Edmund White's The Beautiful Room Is Empty. This was enough. There weren't a lot of people signing up in those days. AIDS was pretty much a death sentence at that point, and I spent a lot of time wondering how dying people could act so normal. Presumably if I were dying, I would spend every single moment in a panic. Such is the stupid way the young think.

Of course, I learned a lot during my time there, as anyone with two or three brain cells would. I learned how good people are, how strong. How petty bullshit still matters even in the most dire circumstances. How afraid a lot of people are of everything and how fear makes people mean -- note the God Hates Fags website, the protests at funerals. I remember my last day at the center, packing up groceries from the food bank to be distributed to those in need like I usually did. I knew I would miss it, and I still do.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"The capacity for getting along with our neighbor depends to a large extent on the capacity for getting along with ourselves. The self-respecting individual will try to be as tolerant of his neighbor's shortcomings as he is of his own." Eric Hoffer

Cocktail Hour
Twinkle Twinkle (the first of the Christmas shots)

one part Irish Creme
one part Creme de Menthe
one part grenadine
Layer with a spoon so that the colors stand alone.

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Tuesday!

5 comments:

jodi said...

Hi Dolly. I am currently reading a book about a dude suffering with Aids. With the horrendous tragedy of it all, there will still be dipshits like those you mentioned. And that's the real tragedy. xoxo

the walking man said...

It took a full 90 seconds to open the cocksucker's page ...how much of it do you want me to repost?

Their picket schedule:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

Their mission statement:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/wbcinfo/aboutwbc.html

Their Audio page:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/audio/index.html

And I say to them

Job 9:

16If I had called, and he had answered me; yet would I not believe that he had hearkened unto my voice.

17For he breaketh me with a tempest, and multiplieth my wounds without cause.

18He will not suffer me to take my breath, but filleth me with bitterness.

19If I speak of strength, lo, he is strong: and if of judgment, who shall set me a time to plead?

20If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse.

21Though I were perfect, yet would I not know my soul: I would despise my life.

22This is one thing, therefore I said it, He destroyeth the perfect and the wicked.





Let them be perfectly wicked in what they do they condemn themselves to death while they yet live by both their words and actions.

Anonymous said...

"most odious of all groups"

"Where do these nuts come from?"

"as anyone with two or three brain cells would."

Learn to hate the sin and not the sinner, Michelle. Remember to be as tolerant of these people's shortcomings as you are of your own.

Your use of irony is improving! I like it!

Charles Gramlich said...

Not a Christian bone in those Westboro baptists. Nary even a Christian cell, an atom, a quark.

PHil said...

If you get a chance, you should see a play called Lonely Planet by Steven Dietz. By turns hilarious and mindbendingly sad, it deals with the AIDS epidemic at about the same time you were working with it. Or buy the script - it reads pretty well.