Saturday, December 12, 2009

Picture Perfect



Happy official start to the holiday season! I hope you guys are having a good weekend. Here's another piece (one teeny-tiny paragraph) of the now FINISHED novel. Glory hallulah! I'm going to write tomorrow on the virtues of both slow and fast writing and a little on the process with this one. Thanks for reading!

I wish I could take a picture that meant something, but the more time I spend in the darkroom, the more I realize how difficult it is to capture essence, something that can make your heart ache. The Vietnamese man having his brains blown out, the Buddhist monk immolating himself, the woman in the hotel room, bloody and dead as the result of an illegal abortion. Once I cut Daddy’s head off trying to get a shot of him and some relatives on a Hamburglar merry-go-round at a McDonald’s playground. He kept telling me to hold the camera in a different way. What can I say? I got the Hamburglar, but I lost Daddy.

6 comments:

Tom Bailey said...

You have a real clever way that you write that is very interesting. I connected because you are one of the top in the world in the world of blogs and I can see why with the fun way that you write.

Best regards,
Tom Bailey

the walking man said...

Glad you got it done...will be interested to hear your perspective on the agonizingly slow and the brutally cruel differences in the writing paces.

jodi said...

Hiya Cookie! Congrats and I look forward to you sharing about it! I love the pic--you look so happy. Or is it relief? Now, relax....xo

Charles Gramlich said...

hurray! Glad you are finished. I'm very interested in your comments on writing fast versus slow. I struggle with that issue myself.

Lana Gramlich said...

Cameras are wonderful things, but they will never compare with a pair of working eyes.

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?