Sunday, August 22, 2010

Let's Get Small



Browsing at Half-Price books one day, I found Steve Martin's memoir, Born Standing Up, for a dollar on the clearance rack. Knowing next to nothing about Steve Martin, I decided to give it a try. I'm filing this under "hidden gems." This memoir was a revelation! Understated and brilliantly written, I found myself extremely impressed by the writing and observations. Comedy, the hardest art form there is in my opinion, is dissected in a thoughtful manner. His own rise and completion are documented. Like any good story, there's the way it happened and how it ended. According to Martin, comedy depends on newness. When he stopped being new and therefore funny, he stopped performing stand-up, opting for a career in movies. Refreshing insights all around.

I can't recommend this book enough. Any favorite Steve Martin bits that you guys love?

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Straight is the line of duty; Curved is the line of beauty; Follow the straight line, thou shalt see The curved line ever follow thee." William MacCall

Cocktail Hour
Chip suggestion: Better Made

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Monday!

8 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Cruel Shoes.

Fantastic bit and if you can find it, a fantastic comedy book as well.

I have his first three comedy albums and they are brilliant masterpieces (IMO)

Jason said...

I loved his novel The Pleasure of My Company and the movie he made, LA Story.

For his comedy, I loved the Cat Handcuffs bit from the 'Wild and Crazy Guy' album.

Charles Gramlich said...

I read his book "Cruel shoes" and liked it pretty well. I'll have to look around for this one.

jodi said...

Hey Babe, I will watch for the book on the sale rack. I am usually impressed at how truly handsome Steve is in movies and I never noticed it when he did stand up. My pharmacy tech told me if she were stranded on a desert island the thing she would most enjoy would be potato chips--and they MUST be Better Made. Detroit's finest!!! xoxxo

Heff said...

One night I got REALLY small, and climbed into a vacuum cleaner....


Well I'm Ramblin', ramblin' round, I'm a ramblin' guy....

"A Ray Em Bee L EYE in...."

J said...

Love the book. Favorite bits- Steve Martin skits with Bill Murray on SNL.

Laura Benedict said...

I like the way Martin hasn't stopped growing in his various crafts--really smart. But when I saw him in It's Complicated, I almost had to look away each time he came onscreen. His plastic surgery is a tragedy. xo

Lana Gramlich said...

I loved Martin's role in "Planes, Trains & Automobiles." Priceless. Please don't mention "Half-Price Books." I got addicted when we were in Austin after Hurricane Katrina (spent $300 in one--of many--visits,) & they don't operate in Louisiana, so I'm in serious withdrawl. <:(