Wednesday, August 19, 2009

From Golden Boy To Mischief Maker



I'm not a big sports fan unless you count the Detroit teams so that means I don't watch football at all -- one of my favorite bumper stickers says, Let's Bring Professional Football Back To Detroit and well, last year the Lions kept being referred to as the "winless" Lions which doesn't give even the most stalwart hope. But this year the NFL is slightly interesting with Michael Vick and Brett Favre. I promised myself I wouldn't write about Vick because I didn't want to hear it, the outcry from everyone who hates him (my favorite headline to this score: Hide Your Beagle, Michael Vick Is An Eagle!) and despite his financial punishment and subsequent jail time still want a public crucifixion if possible (PETA will certainly stand for nothing less) despite those falling mostly out of favor. (Did you see those clever paperweights of Vick being lynched? I don't even know where to begin on this score.)

And Brett, while not a hurter of dogs, has invoked a lot of ire from Packers fans everywhere. I like that Brett has gone from golden boy to mischief maker. What becomes a legend most? Going gently into that goodnight? Why hell no! That's totally boring. Besides, as Miles Davis once pointed out, a legend is an old man with a cane, praised for doing what he no longer does. Some people point out that Brett has lost his status by acting the fool for the last few years. So what? Better to do something than nothing and go out with a bang as a Viking.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"If I can change than anyone can change. I promise you that." Brett Favre

Cocktail Hour
Drinking suggestion: Will review Mark's book tomorrow!

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Tuesday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favre could beat the Detroit Lions with one hand tied behing his back. Rosie O'Donnell could beat the Lions.--Night Train Lane

Anonymous said...

myCajunQ
LionsneedVickandFavre
LionsneedHelpBad
FoxlyLadyD
GlowWhiteRockinMama
R2C2Shazammmm!!!!!

the walking man said...

I don't know...This is year fifty one since the Bobby Lane "curse."

Man how many great football players has this town brought in and watched them fail or fall or just simply give up.

Although I am not a sports fan I have to admit Detroit sports teams in general make for some interesting reading about.

Didn't Alan Trammel's Tigers capture the all time worst record in Baseball a few years back?

So typical Detroit, feast or famine (well except for the Lions which has been all famine.)

PETA on the other hand should look to their own house first and let the cat out of the bag on how many animals they kill as opposed to place for adoption the ratio is in the range of 7 murdered dogs and cats of every 10 because they do not want to tend and feed the animals that come under their control.

Scott said...

Michelle,

I'm not much for sports...I used to watch hockey, but haven't kept up with it for the past couple of years.

I try to be a Viking every day, just not the football type. :)

Hope your week is going well, Darlin'!

Jason said...

I think I heard that Vick wrote an official apology and has promised to financially support animal shelters. Was it the jail or public outcry?

Lana Gramlich said...

I'm SOOOO sick of Favre there are no words. As for Vick...don't get me started! I've got to look up those paperweights. I'd rather support those than the NFL these days.

Charles Gramlich said...

An intersting take on it. I hadn't really thought of it that way, particularly about Brett. I really never did pay any attention to Vick anyway.