Sunday, August 23, 2009

Day Of The Dead




Hi everyone! Hope you're having a great weekend. This picture is one of my favorites (winter, city, gritty newspaper feel) from a few years ago, and I'm posting an older poem that I think kind of matches it. The poem first appeared in many mountains moving. More tomorrow!

Day of the Dead

He left long after all the trick-or-treaters,
long after her neighbors have cleared out
because of the fire he pulled. Dressed as one
of New York’s finest, she let him in, and he
filmed her in different outfits, still as any
mannequin after the chloroform rag. She’d been
on his women to rape lists, stating he wanted
to take her down a notch. When the real
police found him, he slit his own throat,
and they saved him, despite his plea to let
him die. He’d been pretending to be a student,
but couldn’t pull off the costume now that
Halloween was over. I thought about all
the outfits I’d adorned myself with over the years
for various men. I hadn’t been drugged with
anything but the usual substances, and I’d been beautiful
or scary, a self-induced black-out here and there,
and in those moments I’m pretty sure I was both.

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

A lot of men do have a thing for women and their outfits. Just don't ask Lana about it!

jodi said...

Michellybelly, the things we do for lust. God, we practically stand on our heads and clap our feet to get 'er done. Ridiculoso! Oh, so! xo

Scott said...

Michelle,

Good poem...very powerful.

Hope you had a good weekend! :)

the walking man said...

If we are fortunate we live through the days and nights of the dead. When we finally come to know that "chloroform" can be found in so many places we can also find no more need for it.

I've always liked this one kiddo but the picture that made you, make it added another layer of involvement.

Lana Gramlich said...

Frighteningly good poem, hon. I "feel" it, y'know?

Anonymous said...

myCajunQ
RockinMamaD
StrongPome
RapeGivesMetheWIllies
R2C2Shazammm!!!!!

Heff said...

I like the George Romero version, lol.

Laura Benedict said...

Stunning photo, sweetie! Did you read this poem at TMWW last year? Or maybe I just read it myself. I remember thinking how terrifying it was--and it still is.

xoxo

Whitenoise said...

interesting...