Wednesday, May 13, 2009

How We Reveal Ourselves



Here's a new piece of flash fiction. Hope you're having a good week!

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't. I wouldn't start out by ordering garlic chicken while you picked at almost nothing. There's only room in any relationship for an eating disorder and I go by the old practice, Ladies First. I wouldn't fall in love with you right away, thereby sparing myself. I think of your spartan room, the rice paper blinds. How I decided that I wouldn't count the cost. I didn't have much to go on in those days. I still don't.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"I think the best pictures are often on the edges of any situation, I don't find photographing the situation nearly as interesting as photographing the edges." William Albert Allard

Cocktail Hour
Drinking recipe/memoir suggestion: Alone In The Kitchen With An Eggplant edited by Jenni Ferrari-Addler

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday!

6 comments:

Heff said...

"Alone In The Kitchen With An Eggplant" ? Isn't that a book by Dick Gregory ?


Ok, that was a bad joke.

R's Musings said...

Cool quote. Never heard that one before. It's usually the case that what's happening in the background, or on the outside edges is more interesting than what is taking place center stage. :)

the walking man said...

I see what the narrator wouldn't have done and by extrapolation everything they did do, clever Brooks.

Scott said...

Michelle,

Nice flash piece. I may have to try writing some short bits like that soon. I also loved the quote, too. And, as usual, the pic was pretty good, too. :)

Hope your week is going well. Take care!

Wil said...

Have you ever thought about publishing a book of all your pics? God I love coming here.

Wil Harrison.com

jodi said...

Honey, I would crack up to see you alone in the kitchen with an eggplant! Isn't an eggplant one of those vile vegetables that you so dispise? xoxo