Monday, February 23, 2009

A Little Blue Sweater



Mickey Rourke's beloved dog Loki died a few days before the Academy Awards. I saw Loki in a Men's Health magazine wearing a little blue sweater and he broke my heart. I don't know why; I'm not a person with a fondness for animals. I do love Mickey Rourke, especially last night when he talked with Barbara Walters about how Loki lasted as long as he could and when he knew Mickey was in a better place, he knew it was okay to die. At a certain point in his life, Mickey was sleeping in his closet (for reasons he didn't understand, although it has a certain metaphorical elegance) and his dogs brought him back to life. Such is the nature of love, whatever the source. Mickey had a little tuxedo made for Loki for the Academy Awards and he carried it with him in remembrance.

Mickey didn't win last night and that's okay. As he said in the interview, winning an Academy Award would mean a lot, but you couldn't eat it, fuck it, and it wasn't going to get you into heaven which are all excellent points. We (and I mean me) are always waiting for the big fix, the one thing that will set everything else into place, give my life meaning, form, and barring that, comfort. Spiritual types tend to talk about failure as a gift. If so, I'd like to return it and get something else like compassion or another really nice fondue set. But I suppose even though failure has the worst wrapping paper ever, it is a gift, reminding us that we're not at home in this world almost ever, that part of us will always want what is fleeting, and that are lives are defined both what we are and what will never be again.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone." George Eliot

Drinking memoir suggestion: Redeemed Heather King

Benedictions and Maledictions
Was very sad that Mickey Rourke did not win best actor but was very glad that Sean Penn did -- my two picks! Relieved beyond belief that Angelina Jolie did not get best actress; I much preferred her in her goth crazy, I'm so in love with my brother stage than the new incarnation. And well, Kate Winslet is just brilliant so there you go. As for supporting, I liked Josh Brolin, Michael Shannon, and Heath Ledger so overall (besides my mild dislike of Slumdog), I was happy with the awards.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm surprised Rourke didn't win. I sort of assumed he was a shoe in because of all the publicity. But I'm pretty out of touch with such things.

Anonymous said...

I was glad to see the Academy's tribute to the deceased film people that have played such important roles in movie history, including my favorite dead actor, Paul Newman. His films live on and his All Natural Balsamic Salad Mist is not bad.--Oscar Winner

Anonymous said...

All Natural Basalmic Salad Mist is available in aisle five at your local Krogers!!!!Kroger, the right store at the right price. Congrats to all the winners and nominees at the Oscar ceremony. It's still one of the greatest shows on TV.--Mr. Whipple and Artie the bagger

Anonymous said...

That barrel reminds me of NIAGARA FALLS!!!Step by step, slowly....--Lou Costello

jodi said...

Hi Cutes, I know you know this,but, it's never one big thing that makes the difference, rather it's many small things that do it. I totally agree about AJ. She used to be fascinating and now she is a droll bore. xo

the walking man said...

SHIT! Missed another Oscars telecast!

Lana Gramlich said...

I used to be one of those spiritual types who could believe that even failure is a gift. Then I woke up. <:\
Sorry to hear about anyone losing their pet, though. That's always tough.

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed by Rourke losing (just as I was that neither "The Wrestler" nor "Rachel Getting Married" got nominated for Best Picture) until Sean Penn told people who voted for Proposition 8 that their grandchildren will be ashamed of them--best Oscar moment in years....