Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Trouble Man




In honor of Marvin Gaye's birthday, I offer this poem first published in Freefall.












Never Blend In

Marvin Gaye looks down upon me
in the grey Detroit rain, his luminous face
on a billboard for Hennessey. I drive
the chewed-up streets, the streets Marvin
drove while writing those perfect songs,
knowing I cannot write anything anyone
would want to hear. My songs say I am
a small petty person, that there is jealousy
in my heart, perhaps no love can last.
Marvin says, If I could build my whole world
around you, and when I look into his eyes far off
and sad, I think just maybe he already has.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"If you cannot find peace within yourself, you will never find it anywhere else." Marvin Gaye

Cocktail Hour
Drinking movie suggestion: Trouble Man

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute bear!--Whitey the Bear

the walking man said...

TROUBLE MAN
I come apart baby
but now I'm cool
I didn't make it trouble
playing by the rules
I come apart baby
but now I'm fine
I'm checking trouble sugar
moving down the line
I come apart baby
but that's ok
trouble man don't
get in the way


part of Marvin Gay's Trouble Man

Anonymous said...

Our hero is back in his most thrilling adventure yet. This time, the original action hero is headed south in search of a lost city and the mysteries buried within. With spies in hot pursuit, and the help of his sidekick, Mutt, he uses his wits to face new dangers at every turn.--Kellogg's of Battle Creek

Charles Gramlich said...

I read Anonymous and thought, "Marvin Gaye as an action hero." Now there's an idea whose time has come.

Cool poem.

Anonymous said...

Indiana Jones in "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," coming to a theater near you May 22!!!--Oscar Winner

Anonymous said...

Kellogg's Cocoa Rice Crispies available now and ON SALE only at Krogers!!!--Mr. Whipple

Anonymous said...

Simone Lahbib's a right hot piece of Scottish totty....innit!!!!