Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Sun Has Been Eaten





I have a bit of a soft spot for sports cliches, you know, those sort of things that hang in the locker rooms of losing teams to inspire them to victory -- Winners never quit and quitters never win, that sort of thing, the more corndog the better. But what people don't like talking about as much are the dark times, the tough stories that don't have a happy easy ending about the time we spend waiting for our transformations. I've always liked the Ray Carver line about how it's possible to both bend and break -- challenging our bullshit belief that if we can be flexible enough, all of life's experiences can be survived and rendered valuable. But sometimes suffering rules the day. Not everything can be overcome.

Even so, I try to welcome the dark despite being afraid of it for many years. For a long time, I couldn't sleep until the sun started to rise. I read somewhere that people fear the solar eclipse because they believe the sun is being eaten by a malevolent goddess. But I've never had much use for the sun. When it goes away, your eyes begin to adjust to the night and see how much life there is when no one is looking.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"I once had a friend who had a tattoo on his neck that said, Trust No One. That's a good thing to remember." Tanya from Hung in her video series, Diary of a Pimp (Still loving this show very much!)

Cocktail Hour
Drinking suggestion: Peach nectar, champagne, Miles Davis

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday!

8 comments:

the walking man said...

Only the blind are not afraid of the dark.

JR's Thumbprints said...

My favorite sports cliches is actually how the Detroit Lions have been running their offense. Been doing it for years. It's called "The Chuck & Duck" offense. Kind of how my life and career are going. Still, I plod forth until retirement--whatever that is.

Scott said...

Michelle,

When I was a little kid, I was afraid of the Dark. Now, I love it.

" I will rise up from the chaos,
I will rise up from the grave,
A brother to the Darkness,
A master to the slaves"-

'Dawn of Battle', Manowar

jodi said...

Hi Love, I'm not (never have been)afraid of the dark, but I much prefer a sunny day and HATE the gray Detroit days we so often have to deal with. I feel like a zombie when it's dreary. Unless I have a great book. Be well. xo

boneman said...

"I once had a friend who had a tattoo on his neck that said, Trust No One. That's a good thing to remember."

dammitall! He told me he wrote 'Trust EVERYONE!'

Drink of the day --> Liquid Panty Remover: Two glasses of Southern Comfort and ice, then don't waste the room for the ice.

Charles Gramlich said...

I was always fairly comfortable in the dark. It's very dark in the country, at least when I was growing up there.

Heff said...

Heff digs the dark himself.

Anonymous said...

I have always preferred the dark myself. Something kind of freeing about the darkness. No one is watching and one can be himself. Lighting a cigarette in the dark seems like an act of defiance. It is like saying ok world here I am do your worst. I dare you!

I like war metaphors too. Comes from being the son of a sailor I guess. ;)