Monday, March 03, 2008

To His Coy Mistress In Detroit













Hi readers! Today has been a doozy, so I'm going to post a poem that appeared first in Freefall and call it a day. Hope you're having a good Monday!

To His Coy Mistress in Detroit

Some guy in line at CVS starts
babbling about the end times, rapture,
yelling, Do you want the news?
Do you see how everything is going
to hell? The checker says, Fool, look
around you. The end times already
come and gone in Detroit, and we still
here. I hand her the vodka that I’ve
been clutching as if it might save me,
if from myself if nothing else. End
times, the checker says, I heard that
one before. Men always saying some
shit to get you into bed, and I shake
my head and say, don’t I know it.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"What you resist persists." Carl Jung

Cocktail Hour
Drinking memoir suggestion: The Hungry Years William Leith

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rev. Jack Van Impe said: These are the end times. So send in your money Now! Cash or check, or call me at my toll free number to see how you can be saved now! God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Ellen Degenerate said: Q. Hillary, when you're president, will you ban glitter? Hillary said: A. Well, school kids need it for projects.

Charles Gramlich said...

Love the line about the end times done come and gone in Detroit and we're still here. Feels a bit like that down here after Katrina.

the walking man said...

IF I wanted to get you into bed i wouldn't try to scare you there I'd offer you a bottle of top shelf Vodka instead of that rotgut Smirnoff's you poor underpaid teachers can afford.

Peace & no I don't want to get you into bed (unless of course i was ancient King David and needed a hottie to keep my feet warm.

mark