Saturday, March 15, 2008

Peace On This Earth


In this picture, I wear my mother's tiger's eye ring. It screams 1975, but the stone is timeless and supposed to bring grounding to any situation. I need grounding, being a person prone to anxiety and sadness, worry over the meaningless and trivial. But I also strive for health as much as anyone with my personality can and when I was getting a massage the other day, the woman giving it said, You're exactly where you should be. So I tried to take that to heart. It seems as true as anything else. It was far better than my first massage many years ago where the woman said, You have a lot of negative energy. I need many more pink candles to protect me. Damn, if I'm radiating misery, you're going to need a lot more than some dinky pink candles.


The tiger's eye stone's reputed curative powers include healing wounds, bruises, and is supposed to help alleviate pain. I wear it from time to time, my legacy from my beautiful troubled mother whom never found much peace on this earth. I wish I could go back and talk to her sometimes, but then again I don't know exactly what I would say. There are some forms of love that words cannot convey, some wounds that won't be healed, no matter what the stone, no matter how powerful the force. I suppose I am exactly where I should be, not at home in the world, looking to the next with hope and fear, with a stone on my finger and one in my throat.


Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Sometimes my funniest stories have come from my blackest despair." Erica Jong


Cocktail Hour
Drinking memoir suggestion: Sick Girl Amy Silverstein

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Friday!

7 comments:

Brianinmpls said...

At least there is not a stone in your heart or kidneys... :) Happy Friday

Charles Gramlich said...

I've always thought that tiger eye stones were beautiful. There's something exotic and yet soothing in the swirls.

The last sentence of this post is a real kicker.

Anonymous said...

May the force be with.--Yoda

Anonymous said...

Really Michelle, mystical drivel. All things Catholic radiate misery, it's a funemental precept of the religion.

eric1313 said...

I for one happen to love mystical drivel, especially when its well written.

Write on! And heal. All wounds can be healed, even those that fate seems to have made impossibly deep.

Pythia3 said...

I know how you ache to talk to your mother, your beautiful troubled mother. I understand. As daughters, we look for peace and answers through our mothers but fear never finding it . . . fearing we will live the sins and pains of the past over and over again.
That cycle is deadly to our spirit.
Things get worse before they better - but with patience, self-love and the act of letting go; we do heal and things get better than we ever could imagine when in those dark times.
My prayers are with you, Michelle
PS - My mom always said (and I live by these words now)
"This too, shall pass."

Anonymous said...

myCajunQ
RingsRGood
SomeSunOut2
B4CloudsRollIn
BFree
OMightyIsis
Shazammmmm!
R2C2!!!!!