Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Fairer Sex


The U.S. women's soccer team is in the finals as I type. My memory of the last time they won comes from an old ex of mine, a sweet-hearted Marine who dated a lot, but found women mystifying. When Brandy Chastain took off her shirt and whirled it around her head in celebration of their win, my ex told Hank that he wished women would always do that when something made them happy. They'd be a lot easier to read and not so difficult to discern, like a tea leaf reading. Get a present you like -- whip a shirt around your head! Enjoy a compliment -- same deal.

So to my male readers, I offer this question. Do you find it difficult to know when women are happy? I know from my male friends that it's relatively easy to tell when a woman is unhappy, but what about the reverse? How do you know when things are good?

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Winning isn't getting ahead of others. It's getting ahead of yourself." Roger Staubach

Cocktail Hour
Movie suggestion: Beginners
Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Sunday!

14 comments:

Jason said...

I think overt emotions are easy to read, like joy and anger. What can be harder to read, and this is true for men too, are things like contenment or satisfaction.

Can I see when my lady is happy? I think so. Often it's my own insecurities that cloud my judgement and perhaps I create an unhappiness scenario when it isn't there.

the walking man said...

The surest way to know when a woman is happy is when she has the last word and the man has agreed with her in whatever she said, and no a simple uh huh doesn't constitute agreement. There has to be multiple "you're so very right" in there too. spoken at least ten different ways using different words each time.

Of course a happy man is of no consequence but I know I am most content when I know I am right but don't give a shit and let her have her way anyway. Ahhh blessed sacred peace and quiet.


One thing that always bugs me though is why do women always have to be right when the TV is on and you're watching something or listening to dialog they don't give a shit about but you do?

Anonymous said...

She comes in colors everywhere! She's like a rainbow!--M. Jagger

Anonymous said...

They arrested Scotland Yard and the Japs beat the Yanks!--R. Brooks

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jason, my husband seems to project his insecurities and create an unhappiness where there is not one. And to men out there, just because we are not smiling 24/7 does not mean we are not happy. Sometimes we are perfectly content and just have other things on our mind or are too exhausted to move the facial muscles that allow us to smile :)

-Sheila Marie

the walking man said...

GADZOOKS! I have insecurities?!? Where do I find them?

Charles Gramlich said...

The main thing I've learned is that I know nothing about women. I do believe that it's impossible to judge a woman's level of happiness from the occurrence of good things in their life. that seems to have little to do with it, although it may be my idea of good things is not the same as theirs

Anonymous said...

HEY WALKING MAN MY UNHAPPINESS COMED FROM WHEN MY OLD MAN HAS SPORTS ON MOST OF THE TIME OR SWITCHES TO SPORTS DURING THE ADS OF A PROGRAM THAT I AM WATCHING AND I MISS STUFF ON MY PROGRAM BY THE TIME HE SWITCHES BACK. I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A MAN THING FROM OTHER WOMAN.

jodi said...

Hi Darling- I love your pic. As a women, I can say that it would be hard to discern all of the time. We have become used to showing just enough and diplomatic enough to hide what we need too. Compromising? Yeah, but it's part of our feminine wiles that we can never give up. I like the mystery!

Anonymous said...

you never know , because ya'll change your minds so often!LOL

Anonymous said...

I shall resign the presidency of the United States effective 9 a.m. GMT. Winning!--R. Murdoch

the walking man said...

Happiness is a warm...second damn TV set then?

Anonymous said...

I guess they weren't looking for shaving foam!--Soupy S.

the walking man said...

Bread Pudding or better yet Hagus!