Friday, July 01, 2011

Darkness On The Edge Of Town



Approaching the holiday weekend which means locking myself indoors and not coming out for anything. I hate fireworks, barbecue, and heat. It wasn't always this way. I used to only hate fireworks. The loud noises get to me. Call it a post-traumatic stress legacy or a reaction against the waste of money, but I've never seen the point, especially after my dad set himself on fire with a Roman Candle. No injury except burning up his polyester pantsuit which some might say was a favor. Even so, I've managed to injure myself with a stray spark from a sparkler. Yes, I've hurt myself with a sparkler. Really.

I learned to ski during one of these summer holidays. I haven't done that in a long time, gotten up in a snake-infested lake and tried to get a little isometric exercise. No, I'm content to stay on the edges of things. That's where I belong.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Subdue your heart to match your circumstances." Joni Eareckson Tada

Cocktail Hour
Any summer movie suggestions?

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Friday!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unleash your heart to match your circumstances!--C. Hansen

Anonymous said...

It was consensual!--C. Levi-Strauss

Anonymous said...

One if by land, two if by Tea!--El Rushbaugh

Cheri said...

This reminds me of a Doors song.. "In the End." (The title, I should say.)

Charles Gramlich said...

I won't be doing any celebrating either. I like having a day off to relax. That's about it.

the walking man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the walking man said...

It is very hard to celebrate independence while locked in chains.

Andy said...

I'm with you. Hell, just stop at Slow's To Go down the street and leave the BBQ pyrotechnics for soccer moms and dads.

Anonymous said...

... I'm just the opposite; I'm getting out more, blending into the sea of faces. --JR

Anonymous said...

As for movies, check out Black Death.

Nothing like seeing witches get back at the inquisitors.

Happy fourth--no need to by fireworks when everyone else has them is my thought. PTSD manifests in different ways, I think...

Scott said...

Michelle,

Too dry for fireworks down here in Texas...I beleieve there's a statewide ban on them this year. If I hear any of my neighbors shooting them off, I'll probably retaliate with my bow...a few well-placed arrows work wonders.

Hope you manage to have a good weekend, Darlin'. Take care!