Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Waiting For The Muse



I just read a blog post about how said writer hates to hear about the writing habits of writers. This doesn't bother me too much. I kind of liked hearing Larry McMurtry talk about writing for a couple of hours a day longhand with a Bic pen in a long ago class where he didn't answer any questions about his meanings, spirituality, or inspiration. He pretty much stuck to questions about the physical world which drove most of the students nutty. We were all pretty young and believed in the muse. Which is to say that we needed to get out a Bic pen because that bastard Muse was in hiding. And all the fancy equipment writers tend to believe will help them capture this mysterious being is usually distraction.

But here goes my own pet peeve list in relation to writing. Hearing people talk about why they can't write. Or what they would write if they had time to write if they didn't have so many other things to do. This is the worst, the assumption that people who write have more time than anyone else. Maybe yes, maybe no, but if you wait to have "time" to write, you will never write. How said person should just whip together a children's book/genre thriller/ romance novel/ self-help tome "for the money." As if these are somehow easier than other books to write and will pay off so they can do "real writing." Still, I love writers. Except when they are writing. And then they are grouchy. Or talking about writing. Usually when they are in their cups. But otherwise, we rule. I've got a Bic pen here somewhere . . .

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"There is more wisdom in the body than in your deepest philosophies." Friedrich Nietzsche

Cocktail Hour
Nurse Jackie has only one more episode -- waah!

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Tuesday!

10 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, that, oh I could whip up a bestseller if I just had the time thing gets to me a bit too. I love to hear about writer's habits though.

the walking man said...

I have two keyboards, never get blocked 'cept in the toilet and never really talk about writing with writers...I guess I am doing something wrong. *shrug* fuck it.

jodi said...

Hi Honey, OMG. I can easily think of two acquaintances who assure me every time I see them, that they might just start writing if they could just poke a whole in their schedules. I am remined that they, too could write a blog. I have to tell them that I do it on Sunday night and it takes me all of about 10 minutes and surely they have 10 minutes a week! Another tells me that she may quit her job (lucrative!) and write children's books, cuz she's 'good' with children. But, I always like to hear about the process of anyone who is great at something... xoxo

Paul said...

great post michelle

Paul said...

great post michelle!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rob.

Tin Cup

David Leland Hyde said...

Great post about excuses and other writing angst and brilliance. Time is an illusion...

Lana Gramlich said...

Good point on writing "for the money." I never really thought about that. It applies in the art world, as well, except that people say they don't do it "for the money," but many totally do (or else so many new "artists" wouldn't quit when the first failure or criticism slapped them in the face.)

Anonymous said...

Pump it, or shut up, right?

Anyway, liked this one a lot.

And to add one more, don't burn those notebooks people! They need to sit on that shelf collecting dust and your occasional glance, something that they cannot do when reduced to carbon detritus.

Anonymous said...

Or, worse yet is when the excuse for running on the career treadmill is for the 'benefits', as if all that fatty food, smoking, drinking and stress is exactly what the doctor ordered. Yeah, the benefits is what we all dream of when we're kids. "When I grow up I'm gonna have benefits." How obtuse, certainly so, as is this belated comment. Hmmmm... but, surely there is some satisfaction that people continue to haunt you're writings, even after a long spell of forgetful neglect.