Thursday, October 28, 2010

Beauty Before Comfort



Just read that Lisa Blount died today at the age of 53 which makes me very sad as I loved her as an actress, especially in the fantastic movie, Chrystal. She got her start as Debra Winger's friend in An Officer and A Gentleman and as the years progressed, she became more and more beautiful (a rarity in Hollywood despite or maybe because of the influx of botox, fillers, and so). Chrystal, a movie she helped write and produce, showcased her unique talents. Most of the reviews called it southern gothic which meant it would seem very familiar to me. Rest in peace, dear lovely Lisa!

My other topic du jour is the whole fat hatred which seems to have infected the internet in response to a fairly innocuous television show called Mike and Molly. I've never seen the show, but from what I can tell, it's a fairly standard love story starring people who are battling being overweight. A few blogs have talked about how disgusting it is to see fat people kiss and make overtures toward having sex. Because, I suppose, everyone else looks so very good during those activities. Get this -- the great part is how these fatophobes are making the case that fat is being glorified as an example. Seriously?! That it's irresponsible to show overweight people (because God knows they don't exist in the United States) because we're sending the wrong message. To whom? Should we pretend everyone is a size 2 and be done with it? To act as if the plus-sized models (who are usually a size 8 or 10) resemble the average shopper at Lane Bryant? I can't tell you how many otherwise rational students I've had over the years who claim to loathe fat people.

Once a relative at Christmas said he had a prejudice against the blacks. I asked my mother what it meant in front of him, and she said a prejudice was an opinion. I didn't buy it, and I replied that I still thought he was an ignorant asshole. At ten, I got threatened with a spanking, but my mother didn't bother. She knew who needed one.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Life can't ever really defeat a writer who is in love with writing, for life itself is a writer's lover until death - fascinating, cruel, lavish, warm, cold, treacherous, constant." Edna Ferber

Cocktail Hour
If you guys are rocking any fun costumes, please email me some pictures to post if you so dare!

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beauty is someone whom you love rejoicing in the emotion. Nothing is sexier than that.

Shea Goff said...

Thank you for the movie recs and the news. Like I've said before, your version is the only way I want to see the news. Otherwise, it's plain disturbing. That far away....you see it as I would and just that fact gives me a certain amount of faith in humanity.

Happy Halloween, Michelle.

no lie, the word verification is shearoc and I'm taking that as a good sign on a Friday.

the walking man said...

Anyone want to ask me why I have had 9 broken knuckles over the years ask me what it was like being 200 pounds when I was ten years old.


I am sending you a picture of my costume.

Heff said...

I'm just rockin' normal "Heff Attire". Sorry :(

Charles Gramlich said...

Only 53? Geeze that is scary. Any idea what she died from?

jodi said...

Hello Tiny Goblin, I find that as I age, I get even more impatient overall. Not prejudice, just overall orneryness. I find it more directed at stupidity, road rage, items not being priced, the DMV, etc. I loved Lisa Blount in the Winger/Gere thingy. I'll have to check out Chrystal. Happy Halloween, Dolly! xo P.S. the verification word is sorta like 'tournaquet'!