Monday, February 15, 2010

The First Rule Of Curses



Working hard on the new novel, The First Rule of Curses. The title came from a book I read as a child and it had twelve signs so that you could know when someone had put a curse on you. The first one was simple -- you had to believe that it had been done. The others involved the death of livestock, infertility, and having to watch reality shows about people losing weight, especially the new Kirstie Alley one that looks only slightly less painful than the Carnie Wilson one titled Unstapled. Okay, maybe it didn't say that last part. But I had my dad make a copy of the curse rules so I could always have a handy index just to make sure I was okay. I also had him sign a piece of paper that said if I died, he'd stick a stake of holly through my heart before burial just to make sure I was dead. One too many Poe stories, obviously.

Will keep you posted on the novel as well as posting small sections here from time to time. My main character is named Severin which is part of a great Lou Reed song and also means severe in French. Until then, happy holiday weekend!

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor." Truman Capote

Cocktail Hour
Love Potion Number 13
one part Crystal skull vodka
one part cranberry juice
one part Triple Sec

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy President's Day!

3 comments:

the walking man said...

Yeah that first rule is the one that sucks a person in every time. Once a person believes something that thing acquires power over the one who believes it, even if it is erroneous belief.

jays make mine a double from the skull.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE JUST RE READ THE FLAME TREES OF THIKA BY HUXLEY. IN THIS NARRATIVE THERE IS A CURSE PLACED ON A YOUNG MAN WHO IS DYING BECAUSE HE BELIEVES IN THE CURSE THAT HAS BEEN PLACED UPON HIM. HE RECOVERED ONCE HE KNEW THE CURSE HAD BEEN LIFTED. THE POWER OF SUGGESTION IS STRONG.

Laura Benedict said...

Brilliant title, honey! Can't wait to read it! xoxo