Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Make Yourself Small



Hi readers! Hope you're having a great Tuesday. Sunday was my mother's birthday and since her death, I've always received excellent news on this date. In fact, I received my very first acceptance letter while cleaning my dorm room since she was visiting for her big day. That said, my poetry collection, Make Yourself Small, was accepted yesterday (only a day late since the mail doesn't run on Sunday!) by Backwaters Press (www.backwaterspress.com). I'll post more details as I know them, but I want to thank every single person who read these poems (not always an easy dose) which was described on the acceptance letter as "dark and visceral without any melodrama. The corruption of the heart and desire is spoken here as if under the glow of a burnt-out street light." I have never felt so groovy cool! Again, thanks for reading the work which was written in the heart of a Detroit winter.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

myCajunQ
Good4U
CelebrateGoodTimes
ComeOn
FoxlyLadyD
HearTrainAComin
R2C2Shazammmmmm!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Dr. M. Did anyone mention "Satan's School for Girls" for favorite horror movie?

Scott said...

Michelle,

Congratulations!!! I hope the rest of your week is as good!

Charles Gramlich said...

That's great news! Congrats. Do keep us informed. I'm looking forward to getting a copy.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Congrats! It's just what I need for my ambulatory healthcare diagnostic equipment; how else will poetry get revived?

the walking man said...

It is good that you are taking poetry, kicking and dragging, to a new place.

Now the dishwasher, are you going to start doing the dishes or is it a metaphor? One never knows with you poets.

Tim said...

Congrats Michelle!!

laughingwolf said...

grats on that, michelle :D

Heff said...

"Once I got really small, and climbed inside a vaccuum cleaner"

- Steve Martin

Cheri said...

Congrats Michelle! =D

Lana Gramlich said...

Congratulations, hon! That's great news. :) *hug*

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Michelle. The next thing you know you will be an "over night success" when in reality you have been persisting, moving forward time after time even when the rejection slips piled up. Let your voice be heard.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! You are a lovely writer and deserve all your success!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Michelle! That's fantastic news! Congrats, sweet friend! -Jill

Laura Benedict said...

This is fabulous, fabulous news!!!! I hope you're still celebrating! xo

jodi said...

Dearest Chickie, The title of your post reminds me of a painful breakup I had years ago. Without trying,(for once)I dropped 20 pounds overnight. My doc said I was grieving and just trying to "make yourself small." Damn. The power of men. P.S. Congrats and Cheers to you!! oxoxo