Friday, September 26, 2008

Speak Now



















Speak Now

In my women's studies class, an Iranian woman
used to say, I must speak now, I cannot be silent
any longer
whenever she wanted to comment on the
texts. She also often said, Who is this man, this
Billy Joel?
We mocked her in our own stupid way,
not far enough from our origins to feel comfortable
enough with anyone else. Our teacher spoke in a voice
tempered with years of cigarettes and booze, the kind
of woman that people would call a spinster or a spitfire,
depending. I read everything she assigned, but it would
be years before I understood much. Still silent too much
of the time, I could take some comfort in one of my classmate's
rendition of "Piano Man." Trapped in a bad marriage, but
making the best of it, he made the lyrics seem as bleak
and sad as they should without losing any of the humor.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"I like to watch mankind in its futile attempt to understand the unknown, when they don't even understand that which they know." Terrence Howard

Cocktail Hour
Drinking novel suggestion: The Post Birthday World Lionel Shriver

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Friday!

5 comments:

Scott said...

Michelle, Happy Friday to you!

I always enjoy your writing. So, for happy hour, what do you suggest to drink while reading? Or writing, as the case may be?

Anyway, have a great weekend!

Arturo said...

Hi Michelle

I see in the picture, the beer and the floor are part in a place when you was in San Miguel, congratulations for it.

Is understanding the condition for an Irani woman, because if she would there my be she can't speak now.
Saluditos....

the walking man said...

..."and the band played on."

Charles Gramlich said...

I drank a sixer of Modelo especial the other day and didn't like it that much. I like the darker Modelo.

Lana Gramlich said...

Billy Joel actually got his start in my old hometown, so everyone there feels this strange kinship to him. I got over it (with the help of Pink Floyd & the fact that "Billy" went all commercial & lame.)