Monday, August 25, 2008

Fear Of Flying


Hi readers! Thanks for all the great book responses. Mine are so really odd in that they cover the waterfront -- in no particular order:

The Incognito Lounge Denis Johnson -- beautiful poems and a constant inspiration when things run dry

Diary Of A Mad Housewife Sue Kaufman-- I read this when I was twenty and said, my God, I feel just like the heroine. Made major steps to change my life.

Fear Of Flying Erica Jong -- high school, sex, freedom, fear -- need I say more?

Clear Your Clutter With Feng-Shui Karen Kingston -- Iwas in a hopeless situation and this book urged me to begin throwing and giving things away. Felt a lot better after.

Drinking: A Love Story Caroline Knapp -- my favorite memoir ever. I cried when I found out she died at 42.

All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers Larry McMurtry -- most underrated writer ever. Like so many people who make money with writing, he's not given half the credit he deserves. This book breaks my heart.

There's a lot more, but that's a fast list. Still working hard on Second Day Reported. Back tomorrow with another section.

Michelle's Spell of the Day
"Never was anything great achieved without danger." Niccolo Machiavelli

Cocktail Hour
Drinking memoir suggestion: The Middle Years Kelly Corrigan

Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Monday!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So The Wind Won't Blow It All Away--Brautigan's final and, to my mind, most heartfelt and brilliant novel of them all. I forgot about it when I commented earlier.

Albuquerque, NM

Anonymous said...

The narrator doesn't die in the McMurtry tale, but he does swirl around quite a lot in that Texas river. It's seems to be an autobiographical tale about early artistic success and the disequilibrium it can create.--Herman Northrop Frye

Charles Gramlich said...

I actually read Fear of Flying many years ago. Definitely a zipless read.

chris said...

M, I guess I have never read a book to change my life or Views, I have always found myself to be very grounded and flexable,never been one to read for self help. Maybe I have lived in the fiction world to long ?

Catch you later,have a great day.

laughingwolf said...

i echo charles...

Anonymous said...

"The Audacity of Hope"

Anonymous said...

Take that idiotic, drunken, piece of shit named George W. Bush back to Texas where IT belongs. Nothing good ever came out of TEXASS.

Cheri said...

Do you have an email address that I can email you at that you will actually receive my emails?

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks for sharing your list. I read "Fear of Flying" many moons ago. I was just thinking about it the other day & the way I don't remember much about it at all. <:\