Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Call And Response
As I was sitting here thinking about what the hell to write today, it was suggested to me by Cardinal Spellman, a semi-regular commenter, that I should steal the questionnaire from The Walking Man's blog and answer the questions. Thanks Mark for saving me again. So God does answer prayers about what to write! Here goes -- I'll be back at you tomorrow with a regular post about the past, misery, funny times, and blood.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
nothing to do, nowhere to be, a book I really want to read
2. What is your greatest fear?
losing my sense of humor because of some awful trauma
3. Which living person do you most admire?
I admire many people, but if you know someone long enough, you get out of that stage and that turns into love which isn't really admiration.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
5. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
being judgmental -- bullshit holier than thou attitude, that sort of thing
6. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
being right and political correctness ranks up there
7. On what occasion do you lie?
Why would I be truthful about that one?
8. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
Where to begin?
9. What is your greatest regret?
not one, but several, built up over time, waste, lack of planning
10. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
I will never ever tell!
11. Which talent would you most like to have?
12. What is your current state of mind?
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd tone down the anxiety and relax.
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
16. What is your most treasured possession?
first edition of Franny and Zooey
17. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
doing something stupid to screw up my friendships
18. Where would you like to live?
despite all the negative publicity, the D is just fine
19. What is your most marked characteristic?
I'm pretty relentless, stubborn, have a photographic memory for useless information, terrible one for things that count.
20. Who are your favorite writers?
Raymond Carver, Amy Hempel, Larry McMurtry, John Updike, Augusten Burroughs, Caroline Knapp, Dorothy Allison, too many to count
21. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
22. Who are your heroes in real life?
writers and artists
23. What is it that you most dislike?
lack of generosity in people
24. What is your motto?
"Drinking and poetry -- what else is there that counts?" Richard Burton
25. Favorite journey?
all of them are interesting in their own ways
26. What do you value most in your friends?
compassion and forgiveness, sense of humor
27. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
usually bad ones, like "Fuck that shit."
28. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Marvin Gaye except without his enormous talent
29. What is your greatest extravagance?
clothes and champagne
30. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
I'd make them live again, sort of a Reanimator fantasy.
31. What is your favorite occupation?
32. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
33. What is the quality you most like in a man?
34. How would you like to die?
painlessly and laughing
35. If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
I'd try to come back as myself and do it better.
Michelle's Spell of the Day
"I've always taken 'The Wizard of Oz' very seriously, you know. I believe in the idea of the rainbow. And I've spent my entire life trying to get over it.” Judy Garland
Drinking documentary suggestion: Deliver Us From Evil
Benedictions and Maledictions
Happy Wednesday! Thanks so much for all the suggestions on the story!